Some cookies that are ideal at this time of year when everyone is sniffling and snuffling and germs seem to be lurking behind every corner. Well they might help. I see these cookies as a biscuit equivalent to a mug of hot honey and lemon that will soothe your throat and give your ailing self a big warm hug! The lemon adds that zing which you get when you bite in but also lingers after too and the ginger add subtle warmth that underpins the whole flavour.
Equally, they’re attractive to the eye and very tasty. Perfect served at teatime, and a nice change from the usual flavour combinations.
Cold Busting Lemon and Ginger Cookie
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes about 20 cookies
- 1/2 cup dairy-free spread
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2 tbsps golden syrup
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees centigrade/Gas Mark 5. Line 2 cookie sheets with baking parchment.
- Cream together the spread, sugar, syrup, ground ginger and lemon zest. stir in the lemon juice.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Gently mix to form a soft dough. Stir in the sprinkles.
- Dollop tablespoon sized balls of the dough onto the baking sheets. make sure they are well spaced apart as they will spread during baking.
- Bake for 8 minutes until puffy and turning golden.
- Cool briefly before transferring to a wire rack.
Love the colour from the sprinkles!
Quite cute effect isn’t it 🙂
Really lovely, mine went really flat but I never like using cups so wondered if I used too much of something? Do you pack as much into a cup size as you can? Or just loosely fill?
Love your recipes as I also have an egg/dairy/nut allergic daughter and have always had the same attitude that she should be able to have everything so thank you
thanks so much – we seem to be on the same wave-length! just pack loosely, unless stated in the recipe x