Time to get ready for Pancake Day…
Why should you only eat traditional pancakes on Shrove Tuesday? Why not spice up Pancake Day with these stunning fluffy maple syrup flavoured beauties, perfect for the addition of any sweet topping. The maple syrup gives a mellow sweetness but also an additional rich flavour and gives the pancakes a beautiful golden colour. They also benefit from being refined sugar-free, so you can eat them with happy abandon!
The addition of a little aquafaba in these pancakes gives a fantastic light, fluffy texture – a step closer to American style pancakes than traditional French Crepes, but utterly perfect for the yearly tradition of tossing pancakes on Shrove Tuesday!
Maple Syrup Pancakes
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, sugar-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes about 8 medium sized pancakes
1 cup plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp aquafaba
1 cup dairy-free milk [i prefer Oat milk]
2 tbsp flavourless oil, such as sunflower
2 tbsp maple syrup
- Place the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl an whisk.
- Pour in the aquafaba, milk, oil and syrup and whisk to form a smooth batter.
- Ideally leave in the fridge for half an hour before use.
- Heat a frying pan, wipe with a little oil. Add ladlefuls of batter and swirl about to make a medium sized pancake.
- Cook on one side until the top is covered with bubbles and starts to look less wet.
- Toss and briefly cook the other side
- Keep warm until ready to serve