One of the few joys of the summer holidays drawing to an end and Autumn approaching is the return of the Great British Bake Off. It’s such great family friendly viewing, and a fantastic place to get some baking inspiration. On last week’s first show of the series, a drizzle cake was the signature bake, and who can resist a wonderful zingy drizzle cake like this traybake version based upon Mary’s own favourite recipe.
However, even better in my opinion is this lemon sherbet drizzle which is doused in a sherbety citrus syrup whilst still warm, giving the ultimate in sweet zippy citrus flavour and sticky, gooey top. This cake really packs in the zing factor so it’s one of Big S’s favourites – she has a particular fondness for anything zingy. In fact, it’s been the family favourite for many years, wheeled out for any celebration when a chocolate cake doesn’t quite fit! Try it, you’ll love it!
Lemon Sherbet Drizzle Cake
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free. soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
Makes one 1lb loaf cake
200g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
100g caster sugar
a pinch of salt
100ml sunflower oil
150ml soya milk
1/2 tsp lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp lemon essence (optional)
For the syrup:
zest and juice of two and a half lemons
6 tbsps icing sugar
- Sift together the flour, bicarb and salt. Stir in the sugar and lemon zest
- In a separate bowl, combine the dairy-free milk, lemon juice, lemon essence and oil.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix until combined into a smooth mixture
- Pour into a lined loaf tin.
- Bake at 180 degrees centigrade for approx. 30 minutes (until a knife comes out clean)
- While the cake is baking, make the syrup.
- Combine the juice, zest and icing sugar in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer until gorgeously syrupy.
- When the cake is cooked, take out of oven but leave in the tin and stab all over the top with a knife. Evenly pour over the syrup and leave to cool in the tin. I added a sprinkle of pearl sugar for added crunch.
- Remove from tin and sprinkle top with icing sugar, if desired.