These cupcakes are chocolatey, really chocolatey and topped with a rich sticky ganache that turns to a fudgy set icing when it’s cooled, somewhat reminiscent of shop bought chocolate cupcakes, but far far better. If you’re in the mood for a good dose of chocolate power then this is the recipe for you! Besides there is something rather elegant about those shiny chocolate tops, making them equally at home when served as a dessert or tea time treat.
Sinful Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
350g self-raising flour
200g caster sugar
50g cocoa powder
200ml sunflower oil
300ml dairy-free milk
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade/Gas Mark 5
- Mix together the dairy-free milk, lemon juice, vanilla and oil. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and salt. Stir in the sugar.
- Add the bicarb to the wet ingredients and stir.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix to thoroughly combine.
- 2/3 rds fill the cupcake cases and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Fudgy Chocolate Icing
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, can be soya-free, vegetarian and vegan)
85g dairy-free dark chocolate, such as Kinnerton
3 tbsp dairy-free margarine
3 tbsps icing sugar
- In a saucepan, gently melt together the ingredients
- Bring to a boil and then simmer until thickened, stirring all the time. This will only take a couple of minutes.
- Cool slightly and then spread on top of the cupcakes
- Decorate as desired