Well, the summer and holidays seem well and truly over – it’s dark in the mornings and evenings and the leaves are turning golden with a vengeance. Time for thoughts to turn to comfort and cosy warming dishes to keep the spirits up, I think.
Chocolate fudge cake which is rich and gooey with a sticky chocolate glaze, surely that’s going to lift our spirits? This is a fabulous quick but indulgent recipe, perfect for an after-school treat which will be much needed in this first full week back. My, we’re all going to be tired come this Friday if this weekend was anything to go by!
This cake which is perfect as either a teatime treat or a wicked pudding with ice cream is a family favourite. It is a very simple recipe to make, and I’ve included the ingredients in grams and tablespoons so the younger members of the family can easily participate in making this moreish cake and still result in that all important wow factor. It is certainly gooey enough for the most diehard chocoholic – and who can resist a slice of gooey chocolate fudge cake…. I know I can’t.
Gooey Chocolate Fudge Cake
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes a 2 lb loaf
9 tbsps dairy-free milk
1.5 tsps bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp vanilla essence
200g self-raising flour
4 tbsps cocoa powder
pinch of salt
4 tbsps granulated sugar
4 tbsps soft brown sugar
50g dairy-free margarine
4 tbsps golden syrup
- Preheat the oven to 190 Degrees Centigrade conventional oven/Gas mark 5
- Line a 2lb loaf tin (or 2 1lb tins, or half the mixture to make 1 1lb cake)
- Combine the dairy-free milk, bicarb and vanilla and set aside.
- Cream together the dairy-free spread and sugar. Mix in the syrup.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa and salt.
- Alternating between the dry ingredients and the soya milk mix, add too the creamed spread. When fully combined and smooth, fill the loaf tin.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a knife comes out clean. Cool in the tin, then transfer to a wire rack.
Chocolate Fudge Icing
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
make enough to cover 1 loaf
1/4 cup dairy-free margarine
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp dairy-free milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
- Melt together the dairy-free margarine, milk, cocoa and sugar.
- Bring to a rolling boil and bubble furiously for a minute or two, stirring all the time.
- Cool, stirring now and then. Stir in the vanilla.
- Once cool, spread over the top of your cake.