That got me thinking about breakfast, our only non festive meal of the day. Surely Christmas day needs to start with a bang to set the right tone for the festivities.
I love the spices that fill the air at Christmas and that inspired these delightfully spiced Christmas pancakes. Pancakes are not only a luxurious celebratory breakfast but are quick and simple to make and light enough to leave room for the epic Christmas lunch. I think that hit’s all the requirements for a Christmas breakfast! Don’t forget though that pancakes also make a fantastic pudding too.
The spice mix used in this recipe is the epitome of the taste of Christmas and is perfect for adding to any recipe at this time of year. I’ve added it to soya lattes, pastry, apple pie and of course these pancakes.
Serve with a dusting of glittery icing sugar or a glug of maple syrup 🙂
Christmas Spice Mix
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp mixed spice
zest of 1 clementine
Christmas Spice Pancakes
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
1/2 cup self-raising flour
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp soft brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp Christmas spice mix
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp flavourless oil, I used sunflower
1/2 cup dairy-free milk, I used oat milk.
- Sift the flour, spice, salt and baking powder into a bowl and stir in the sugar.
- Whisk in the oil and milk to form a smooth, fairly thin batter. Set aside to start bubbling
- Heat a frying pan and swipe with a little oil. Cook the pancakes on both sides until starting to colour and slightly puffed up
- Keep warm until ready to serve
- Serve with maple syrup or icing sugar