Easy, tasty and pretty what more could you want from a cake recipe? I needed to make a quick after-school snack and thought something pretty was what was needed with the May sunshine shining through the windows, and surely no-one can resist a colourful sprinkle strewn traybake when they return home from a long and busy day at school.
I think the combination of vanilla sponge, baked with sprinkles stirred in for a colourful ‘funfetti’ effect, vanilla buttercream and a topping of more sprinkles is as pretty as a picture. The added bonus is that this recipe can be whipped up in about 40 minutes, which includes cooking and cooling time, you can’t get much quicker than that for a wow-worthy cake.
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
200g self-raising flour
100g caster sugar
pinch of salt
100ml sunflower oil
150ml dairy-free milk
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade/Gas mark 5
- Line a square baking tray with parchment
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl. Stir in the sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the dairy-free milk, lemon, vanilla and oil.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix, until well combined. Stir through the sprinkles.
- Pour the mix into the lined tin, level off and bake for 20-22 minutes, until lightly golden and a knife comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
for the buttercream:
3 tbsp dairy-free margarine
1 tbsp vegetable fat
around 2 cups icing sugar
a splash of dairy-free milk