Let’s get fresh, fruity and just right for the holidays. These yo-yo biscuits are are classic Antipodean staple and are perfect for warmer climes as they don’t have the tendency to melt like my favourite chocolate cookies! Talking of melting, this cookies have the wonderful melt in the mouth feels of very short shortbread, enhanced with a rich buttercream filling. It really is a wonderful combination.
I was in the mood for colour so concocted some delicate lemon biscuits (coloured with custard powder for a lovely yellow hue) and filled with bright purple blueberry filling. This biscuits will certainly get people talking, whilst also reaching for another one 🙂
Blueberry and Lemon Yo-Yo Cookies
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes about 20 sandwich biscuits
150g dairy-free margarine
65g icing sugar, sifted
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp lemon extract
pinch of salt
55g custard powder or cornflour
175g plain flour
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade/Gas mark 4
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment
- Beat together the margarine, sugar, zest and essence until light and fluffy.
- Sift in the flours and salt to form a very soft, but not sticky dough.
- Make large marble sized balls and place on the baking sheet (try to make an even number). Flatten with the back of a fork.
- Bake for 12 minutes
- Cool on the baking sheet for a couple of minutes before moving to a wire rack.
- Once completely cool, sandwich together with the blueberry cream.
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, gluten-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
60g dairy-free margarine
200g icing sugar
1 tbsp blueberry coulis
- Make the blueberry coulis by cooking down 100g blueberries with 2 tbsp sugar and 1 too lemon juice. Cook until eh blueberries have burst and the mix is saucy. Sieve to give a luscious sweet sauce.
- Whisk the margarine with the icing sugar and 1 tbsp blueberry coulis until it is all incorporated. Place in the fridge to firm up before using.
- use the remaining blueberry coulis for ice cream, waffles or fruit salad