These days panettone is a big part of Christmas. Every food shop seems to have a huge pile of beautifully packed panettone flown straight from Italy. Since I started making homemade friendly panettone it has also become a family tradition for us.
This year I’ve decided to make mini panettone. After all, what could be more temping and cute than a perfect individual panettone?
This version is chocolate chip as I know that’s the flavour combination that’ll be devoured in this house, but you could easily swap the chocolate for dried fruit or mixed peel for a more traditional vibe.
If you can find proper mini-panettone cases to place in empty tin cans or panettone moulds, then you are luckier than me! I used the tulip type muffin liners placed in a deep muffin tin, which did a pretty good job.
Did you notice the mistletoe and the tag in the photos? Every year we and our neighbours have a mistletoe fairy who mysteriously leaves mistletoe with a tag in our letterboxes. We don’t know who it is, but it’s a lovely festive treat 🙂
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, can be soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
250g plain flour
30g caster sugar
1/2 tbsp yeast
1/4 tsp salt
100ml dairy-free milk, warmed to body temperature
25g cup dairy-free margarine, melted
Zest of 1 lemon and 1 clementine
30g cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips
- Sift the flour into a bowl.
- Stir in the sugar, yeast and salt.
- Pour in the warm milk, margarine and zests and bring together to form a smooth and elastic dough.
- Knead in the chocolate until they are evenly distributed
- Leave in a warm place to double in size.
- Knock back and form into a smooth ball. Cut into 4 equal pieces, approximately 75g each
- Place in a lined muffin tins.
- Leave to rise again until it they’ve grown a lot. An hour in a warm place should be adequate
- Brush the top with oat milk and sprinkle with a pearl or chouquette sugar. (if you can’t find that use demerara)
- Place in a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees centigrade fan/190 degrees centigrade non-fan/gas mark 5 for 20-25 minutes, until golden and cooked through (it will sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.)