I so often make something chocolate based but I’ve recently had a craving for warm and spicy and this sticky ginger cake really fits the bill. The sponge is light and bouncy, but with a sticky edge that is the perfect texture for the fiery, warming ginger spice. You could easily make this darker and stickier by using all or half black treacle or molasses but we tend to favour a lighter sponge so I’ve used just golden syrup and soft brown sugar in this recipe.
In reality this cake doesn’t need any icing, it great as a stand along sticky spicy sponge, perfect for a teatime treat or as a comforting pudding with a liberal dousing of custard.
However, if you do feel inclined the tangy, lemon cream cheese icing makes this a really special traybake. The citrus really lifts the ginger spice and everyone likes a frosting, right?
Sweetly spiced and oh so moreish this cake definitely deserves a place in your repertoire. I hope you enjoy ti as much as we do 🙂
Sticky Ginger Traybake with Lemon Cream Cheese Icing
- 20 cm square traybake
- 75 g soft brown sugar
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 125 g golden syrup
- 75 g dairy-free margarine
- 160 ml boiling water
- 20 g crystalised ginger finely chopped (optional)
- For the lemon cream cheese icing:
- 20 g dairy-free margarine
- 15 g dairy-free cream cheese
- 120 g icing sugar
- 1 and ½ tsp lemon juice
- 10 g crystalised ginger to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade. Line a 20cm square tin with baking paper
- In a large bowl, place all the ingredients except the margarine and boiling water. Place the margarine on top of the dry ingredients, then pour over the boiling water. This will melt the margarine into the batter as you whisk together all the ingredients until well combined. The mixture will be very runny
- If using, stir in the crystalised ginger
- Pour into the lined tin and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden on top and a knife comes out clean
- Cool in the tin before moving to a wire rack
- Whilst the cake is cooling, whisk together the margarine, cream cheese, icing sugar and lemon juice until you have a thick and smooth icing
- Once the cake is cool, spread the icing all over the traybake and sprinkle with extra chopped crystalised ginger
This sticky ginger traybake with lemon cream cheese icing looks absolutely mouth-watering! I can’t wait to try making it for myself. Thank you for sharing the recipe!
Thank you! I hope you enjoy it x
This ginger cake looks absolutely delicious! The combination of warm spices and lemon cream cheese icing is making my mouth water. I can’t wait to try making it myself. Thank you for sharing the recipe!
Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for your lovely comments. I hope you enjoy it when you make it x