Herby Pasta Salad

This hot weather has made me want to eat more salads than normal. A fresh salad, in my opinion, is the perfect summer’s day lunch. This pasta salad is zingy, fresh and packed full of herbs. Inspired by a recipe in The Enchanted Broccoli Forest this salad is definitely worth trying…

Herby Pasta Salad (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, vegetarian and vegan)

serves 2 as a main, 4 as a side

• 200g dried pasta shapes
  • 2 tbps red wine vinegar
  • 3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 spring onions, finely sliced
  • 1/2 red pepper, chopped
  • handful of sunflower seeds, toasted (or mix of sunflower/pine nuts)
  • handful fresh basil, roughly chopped
  • handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped
  • optional, if can tolerate dairy: handful grated vegetarian parmesan
  • other optional additions: cherry tomatoes, olives, sun-blush tomatoes, diced cucumber, sweetcorn

– Cook the pasta until al dente

– Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk together the vinegar, oil, salt and garlic.

– Add the pasta, along with the onion and peppers to the marinade, mix well.

– Leave to cool.

– Add the other ingredients and stir well to fully combine.

– Eat at room temperature.

1. Starr says:

Another delicious looking dish!

I’ve nominated you for the One Lovely Blog award.

2. I’ve been nominated for a new award and I’m nominating you as I pass it on. Always a pleasure to visit here and want to share it with others. You can see it on my site http://www.susartandfood.com and check out the award site to get on their blog roll of winners. http://foodstoriesblog.com/illuminating-blogger-award/. This is an easy one rules wise at least. 🙂

Thank you so much, I’m very flattered! x

1. You are welcome!

3. livliveslife says:

Can your kids/family tolerate pine nuts? I’ve never been sure whether or not those are actual nuts (I’ve heard that they’re seeds).

We seem ok with pine nuts – I’m not sure if they’re a seed or nut….!

4. sybaritica says:

I like that pasta shape … is there a name for it?

It’s nice isn’t it. Sadly, I’ve thrown away the empty pack.. will check the next time I’m in the supermarket and get back to you 🙂

sorry for the delay in replying… had to go to the shop and check the name – it’s Gnocchi Sardi from Sardinia and made for cheesy sauces. Although it’s not conventional gnocchi, it is a similar shape.