I had an hour before the girls got home from school and the snack options were looking pretty non-existent – I seem to have stopped buying a lot of snacks with all the baking I’ve been doing! However, there was one very over-ripe banana and a handful of rather forlorn blueberries sitting in the fruit bowl – hence the inspiration for this recipe.
I didn’t think that the flavours would shine with so few ingredients, but it produced one very banana-y and blueberry tasting cake that filled empty, just home from school tummies, but would also work perfectly with a cup of tea or coffee.
Blueberry and banana cake (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes one cake/small loaf
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 handful blueberries (doesn’t matter if they’re old and wrinkly!)
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsps sugar for sprinkling
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade/Gas mark 4
– Grease and line the cake/loaf tin
– Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder. Stir in the blueberries so they get coated in flour.
– In a separate bowl, mash the banana. Add the oil, vanilla and water. Stir well.
– Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix gently.
– Pour into the cake tin.
– Sprinkle with more sugar and bake for 40-50 minutes, until a knife comes out clean.
– Cool, then remove from the tin and leave to finish cooling on a wire rack.
This looks and sounds great! 🙂 xx
Thank you! 🙂
We have lots of blueberries and bananas around here. Perfect timing! I may convert this into muffins/um er, cupcakes so that I can exercise portion control 😉
Looks heavenly! 🙂
HI thanks for this recipe after searching a lot for allergy friendly recipes I stumbled upon your site. This looks a lovely recipe. Definitely going to try but with apple instead of banana. Thanks xx
I hope it turned out well if you tried it x