The girls have always been rather interested in the concept of S’mores, probably from coming across the term in TV programmes. I’m not sure if your usual S’more is dairy-free, but it certainly isn’t vegetarian or vegan!
We had some of our lovely vegetarian marshmallows hanging round in the cupboard…. so it was time for an experiment. The final result is sweet but also rather delicious. A crisp shortbready base covered with vegetarian marshmallows and then smothered in a soft chocolate ganache – yum!
S’mores Bars (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
for a 9 inch square tin
- 1/2 cup dairy-free spread
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup vegan mini marshmallows
- 1 cup dairy-free dark chocolate
- 4 tbsps dairy-free spread
- 2 tbsps golden syrup/maple syrup
– Line a 9 inch square baking tray with parchment
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade/Gas mark 4
– Cream together the dairy-free spread and icing sugar until light and fluffy
– Whisk in the vanilla esence
– Sift in the flour and salt and mix to fully combine. It will be fairly sticky.
– Spread the dough into the baking tray, level off and bake for 15-20 minutes, until just starting to turn golden at the edges.
– Remove from the oven and let cool slightly in the tin.
– In a bain marie or the microwave, melt together the 4 tbsps of dairy-free spread with the chocolate and syrup. Stir until smooth and glossy.
– Scatter the marshmallows over the biscuit base. Pour the chocolate ganache over the top.
– Leave to cool in the fridge and then cut into bars.
– Best to keep them in the fridge.