Coconut Macaroons

You may have noticed that I do quite like coconut (but only in sweet recipes, I have yet to find a savoury coconut dish that I love) so coconut macaroons had to be on the ‘to try’ list. Since coconut gives a dish a nutty twang it is a useful substitute for a nut vibe in a recipe.

These are certainly very coconutty and work really well with a coating of chocolate, but it really isn’t necessary if you prefer them plain. Also, they somehow manage to be totally fat-free. I think that means you can have an extra one!

Coconut Macaroons (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, fat-free, vegetarian and vegan)

makes 12

• 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup oat milk
  • 1 tbsp golden syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 cups desiccated coconut
  • 1/2 cup plain flour
  • optional: 40g dairy-free chocolate
  • optional: 1 tsp dairy-free spread, such as Pure

– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade/Gas mark 4

– Line a baking sheet with parchment

– Stir together the sugar, oat milk, syrup and vanilla.

– Stir in the coconut and mix to combine.

– Sift in the flour and stir until well mixed.

– Scoop tablespoon sized balls onto the baking sheet. The mix is fairly sticky so I decided to make quenelles and then slightly flatten.

– Bake for 15 minutes, until lightly golden around the edges.

– Cool on the baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack.

– If liked, melt together the chocolate and dairy-free spread. Stir until smooth and gooey. Spread over the macaroons, however you wish.

– Leave to set and then store in an airtight container.

1. mydearbakes says:

Lovely recipe, thanks so much for sharing! =)

it’s a pleasure

Gorgeous cookies! I love macaroons and haven’t figured out how to make them without eggs! Yay!

I’m starting to question why anyone needs eggs when vegan baking is so adaptable

It really truly is! I’m always surprised that my cookies don’t crumble, that muffins and cupcakes have great texture and adequate rise. I’m not missing anything, but sometimes, when they seem like an integral ingredient (like as in crepes) you think you need them, the vegan blogger world is (happily) turning that notion upside down for me 🙂

crepes are beyond me but try my pancake recipe – it does work. 🙂

Ok, I will! google vegan crepes, you will be amazed…..

I am amazed…. they are on my list to attempt this week!

Can’t wait to hear your results. I haven’t attempted them yet!