I came across a photo of cookie bars on the internet the other day and decided to give them a whirl. All I can say is, what a revelation – minimum ingredients, no fussing around shaping them and you end up with delicious fail-safe cookies, whipped up in a maximum of half an hour. So, next time you have friends over and think you need to nip to the shops to get some cookies, think again!
These will be perfect for today’s picnic on Olympic Torch Day. We’re having a whole school trip (plus parents) to watch the Olympic Torch relay go past which is going to be an historic, if fleeting moment. It’s very exciting, and it means the games are getting closer…. roll on The London Olympics 🙂
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes about 24 small squares
- 220g dairy-free spread, such as Pure
- 220g soft brown sugar
- 300g plain flour
- 2 tbsps cocoa powder
- 100g chocolate, roughly chopped
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade/Gas mark 4
– Line a brownie pan with tin foil
– Beat together the dairy-free spread and sugar until light and fluffy
– Sift in the flour and cocoa and stir until well combined.
– Gently mix in the chocolate chips.
– Turn into the brownie pan and level off.
– Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top looks cooked all over
– Cool in the foil on a wire rack.
– When totally cold, peel off the foil and cut into even sized squares.