Spotty Dotty Cookies

Today is going to be rather scary, in fact I can’t quite believe that we’re going to willingly do this. Whilst little S has a long list of allergies, she has only ever had one reaction due to a controlled ‘egg challenge’ – we know about the whole range due to early allergy testing. As she had a sister with a known egg allergy we were invited to take part in a clinical study about egg and peanut allergies.

So, at six months, before eating any solid food she was tested for the full range of allergens – where she tested positive to dairy, eggs, peanuts, sesame and some other tree nuts including cashews and brazil nuts. My worst case scenario had been milk and egg allergies like Big S, I hadn’t even considered the possibility of others.

It was a shock but we are so grateful to the doctors for the early warning, meaning she has been safe ever since. They have also given us amazing advice and support over the years. Hence our willingness to go today for a follow-up allergy study, in this one they feed peanut flour products in a medical setting to children with a known peanut allergy to assess the accuracy of skin-prick tests and also gauge the extent of their allergy. We wanted to continue being part of the study, but I’m scared – what if she has anaphylaxis? Maybe we shouldn’t be feeding her something that could make her ill…. I’ll be really glad when today is over….

In the hope that she’ll be happy, well and hungry on the train on the way home I made some ‘spotty dotty cookies’ – trying to recreate those appealing looking Byron Bay ones you see in cafes.

Spotty Dotty Cookies

makes 10-12 large cookies

• 1 cup dairy-free spread
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tbsp vanilla essence
  • 1 tbsp golden syrup
  • 2 cups plain flour
  • 2 tbsps oat milk
  • 1 pack of dairy-free chocolate beans, such as Whizzers

– Preheat the oven toย 180 Degrees Centigrade/Gas Mark 4

– Line a baking sheet with parchment

– Cream together the spread, sugar, golden syrup and vanilla. Sift in the flour and add the oat milk.

– Stir to combine to a soft but not sticky dough (add more flour if necessary)

– Roll out and use your favourite cookie cutters to cut out large shapes.

– Transfer to the lined baking sheets and press the dairy-free chocolate beans into the top of the shapes.

– Bake forย 12-15 minutes, until lightly golden around the edges.

– Cool on a wire rack

1. More Than Greens says:

Good luck with the test. Hope all goes well. =)

Love the Olympics mug!

Thanks, luckily it was postponed – what a relief!
      I put the Olympics mug in as we’re getting rather excited (or should I say, I am!)

1. More Than Greens says:

Phew!

Haha, I am getting excited too! Loved the atmosphere during the Sydney Olympics back in 2000 so can’t wait to experience it all again!

2. mydearbakes says:

Loved this post! You made very very amazing bakes! =)

3. leroywatson4 says:

Hey Lucy, We love what you do and felt you deserve an award! The ‘Thought Provoking’ blog award (http://thebeachhousekitchen.wordpress.com/2012/07/19/the-beach-house-kitchen-voted-for-a-thought-provoking-blog-award/). We hope it brings many new good folk to your lovely blog. Pass it on if you like. Happy days, lee and janex

What a lovely surprise – thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ x

4. I hope she gets through the testing just fine! And congrats on the award I see listed in the comments! ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Starr says:

I’m not familiar with Byron Bay (perhaps a UK thing?) but your cookies sure are cute ๐Ÿ™‚
    Hope the her tests went ok.

I think they’re Aussie – but you find them in lots of cafe’s here. Everyone finds chocolate beans tempting!

6. I hope that everything went okay : )

Thanks for your support – most appreciated…. It’ll be needed in September instead!

Poor baby. Glad I read in the other post that the test was postponed. We only have dairy allergies in this house. I can’t imagine what it would be like to have so many tricky ones to navigate. I can’t remember if you said whether or not she has a macadamia nut allergy. I wanna test it in the cheez for you ๐Ÿ˜‰

I was so relieved that it didn’t go ahead! I’m not sure about macademias… We can definitely have pistachios, almonds, pine nuts at the moment…. Would any of them work? X

Soaked pinenuts may, almonds are too mealy….