Wow, what an experience! The London 2012 Olympics were completely amazing – the atmosphere was awesome and definitely gave everyone a definite feel-good factor. We feel so lucky that we managed to experience the stadium and Olympic Park – I think we’ll all remember this summer for a long time to come.
Tonight is the closing ceremony and to celebrate we’re having a few more games, a little party and letting the girls stay up late (again!). Here are the gingerbread medals we’ll be presenting….
Gingerbread Olympic Medals (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes 10-12 medals
- 50g soft brown sugar
- 25g caster sugar
- 3 tbsps golden syrup
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 95g dairy-free spread
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 225g plain flour
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade/Gas Mark 4
– Grease a cookie sheet
– In a saucepan melt together the sugars, syrup, cinnamon, ginger and lemon zest until all thoroughly melted and smooth
– Stir in the dairy-free spread and bicarbonate of soda
– Stir in the flour to make a soft dough
– Leave to cool
– Once cool, roll out and cut out circle shapes (or any other shape you fancy) and stamp out little holes near the top with the end of a straw
– Bake for 10-15 minutes until starting to brown round the edges.
– Cool on a wire rack
– Decorate with edible glitters and thread a ribbon through the hole.
– Present to your gold, silver and bronze medal winners!