I find it really hard to get my children to eat salads – they’re fine with salad vegetables on their own, but combine or dress them and then they’re not keen. Since Big S loves both cucumber and anything with a bit of zing, I thought we’d try a basic marinated cucumber salad. It worked pretty well – maybe this could be the start of her loving salads too?
Tangy Cucumber Salad (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
serves 4 as a side
- 1 cucumber, halved and deseeded with a spoon.
- 1/4 cup wine vinegar
- 3 tsps caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsps cold water
- bunch of chives (or other herb)
– Slice the cucumber into even semi-circles
– In a large bowl mix together the vinegar, water, sugar and salt until the sugar has dissolved
– Thoroughly toss the the cucumber in the vinegar marinade.
– Season with pepper and scatter over the herbs.
– Leave to marinate for at least an hour before eating.