I’ve been dreading today for YEARS – after six years on a career break, spending wonderful time with my little ones, I’m finally going back to work. That idea alone would have been hard enough to accept but I’m also facing a horribly long/expensive/busy commute which I’ve never done before – previously I lived an easy half hour to 40 minute tube ride away and after big S was born I only worked 2 days a week!
The whole thing has been upsetting me for ages – I can’t bear the thought of trudging off in the dark to do a job I’m no longer sure about and missing so much family stuff…. I don’t suppose anyone wants to pay me to write my blog instead do they??
Anyway, to feed the girls when they get back from school tomorrow (while I’m still miles away ) I’ve made a rich and comforting double chocolate chip cake with fluffy white buttercream. I hope they like it 🙂 … and I hope I get home early enough to enjoy it with them. Hopefully a less emotional post from me next time!
This recipe was inspired by and adapted from one that appeared on the fab blog lots of nice things
Double Chocolate Chip Cake with Fluffy White Buttercream (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
make one cake
- 330g self-raising flour
- 5 tbsps cocoa powder
- 220g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsps bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt
- 50g dairy-free chocolate, chopped
- 290ml oat milk
- 2 tbsps soya yogurt
- 100g dairy-free spread, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
– Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Centigrade/Gas Mark 5
– Grease and line a deep cake tin
– Sift together the flour, cocoa, bicarb and salt
– Stir in the sugar
– Stir in the chopped chocolate
– In a separate bowl, mix together the oat milk, melted dairy-free spread, soya yogurt and vanilla.
– Mix the wet ingredients into the dry. Mix gently until well combined.
– Pour into the cake tin and bake for 40-50 minutes, until a knife comes out clean
– Cool in the cake tin.
– Cut in half and fill with, and ice the top with velvety white buttercream
– Decorate as desired.