I’ve been fancying some passionfruit for a while – it seems to be the kind of ingredient I don’t have for ages and ages and then I just really feel like eating some. Last week, I was fortunate to finish work a bit early and went on an unsuccessful mission to find some dairy and nut-free white chocolate for Little S to use at school. I also popped into an Ottolenghi store. How I love the kind of food Yotam Ottolenghi makes, packed full of flavour, with vibrant fresh ingredients while also being beautiful to look at. I’d earlier eaten my disappointing shop-bought sandwich (very bad planning on my part!) so didn’t actually buy any of the delicacies on sale.
Browsing the beautiful products on sale and with my desire for some passionfruit I decided to make a lucys friendly foods version of Ottolenghi’s passionfruit yoyos – a kind of shortbread sandwich biscuit with a delicate passionfruit cream centre. They are quite delicious, but if I was to make them again I would perhaps add some food colouring.
Passionfruit Yoyos (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes about 20 sandwich biscuits
- 250g dairy-free spread
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- zest of 1 clementine or orange
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 21/2 cups plain flour
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade/Gas mark 4
– Line 2 baking sheets with parchment
– Beat together the spread, sugar, zest and vanilla until light and fluffy.
– Sift in the flours and salt to form a very soft, but not sticky dough.
– Make large marble sized balls and place on the baking sheet (try to make an even number). Flatten with the back of a fork.
– Bake for 12 minutes
– Cool on the baking sheet for a couple of minutes before moving to a wire rack.
– Once completely cool, sandwich together with the passionfruit cream.
Passionfruit Cream (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, gluten-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1/4 cup dairy-free spread
- 1 tbsp vegetable fat
- 2 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 3 passionfruit, pulp sieved
– Whisk together the spread and vegetable fat until light and fluffy.
– Whisk in alternate amounts of icing sugar and passionfruit pulp until it is all incorporated.