It’s Big S’s 9th Birthday party today. It’s a swimming party and she absolutely loves dolphins, so the theme was obvious! It took a lot of planning, and I’m not sure it turned out as planned – dolphins are much harder to make than penguins! But she loves it, so I’m happy 🙂
The cake is a chocolate chip chocolate sponge, filled and masked with velvety white buttercream and then finished off with roll out icing (which is also used to make the dolphins).
Chocolate Chip Stuffed Chocolate Cake (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan) Warning: only soya-free if you omit the chocolate chips, contains gluten
make one cake
- 330g self-raising flour
- 5 tbsps cocoa powder
- 220g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsps bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt
- 50g dairy-free chocolate, chopped
- 290ml oat milk
- 2 tbsps soya yogurt
- 100g dairy-free spread, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
– Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Centigrade/Gas Mark 5
– Grease and line a deep cake tin
– Sift together the flour, cocoa, bicarb and salt
– Stir in the sugar
– Stir in the chopped chocolate
– In a separate bowl, mix together the oat milk, melted dairy-free spread, soya yogurt and vanilla.
– Mix the wet ingredients into the dry. Mix gently until well combined.
– Pour into the cake tin and bake for 40-50 minutes, until a knife comes out clean
– Cool in the cake tin.
– Cut in half and fill with, and ice the top and sides with a thin layer of velvety white buttercream
– Decorate with roll out icing