This is an absolutely winning gravy – perfect served with Christmas lunch or a roast, on a pie or with veggie sausages (you’ve got to try my nosages!) and mash. The finished sauce is silky smooth, so packed full of flavour, deep and intense. If that flavour becomes too intense for you (and it can), to ‘tone down’ simply add some water or light veg stock to desired taste/consistency.
Thyme and Redcurrant Gravy (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsps plain flour
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 125ml red wine
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 1-2 tbsps soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp marmite
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Redcurrant jelly
– Sauté the onion in the oil until completely soft. Add the thyme leaves.
– Stir in the tomato purée and briefly cook out.
– Stir in the flour and cook out for a couple of minutes
– Pour in the red wine and reduce by 2/3rds.
– Add the stick, balsamic, soy sauce and marmite.
– Stir until the sauce is starting to thicken and no lumps remain.
– Stir in the Redcurrant jelly, making sure it has completely dissolved.
– Taste and adjust the seasonings, if required
– Either serve with the onions in the sauce, or strain for a smooth version.
– For a less intense, thinner sauce dilute with up to 200ml water.