This avocado mayonnaise makes a wonderful rich and unctuous dressing, all with no egg in sight and a darn sight tastier than a shop-bought egg-free mayo. The lime tang gives a real Mexican vibe which I love, but if you rein it in the resulting gorgeous gloop makes a perfect mayonnaise to be used in sandwiches, salads etc.
This recipe was inspired by Thomasina Miers ‘Mexican Food at Home‘ as the dressing for a salad, and it does work wonderfully for that purpose, but I think it rocks as a mayo alternative, and doesn’t that avocado colour look wonderful? Just like your grandmother’s bathroom suite back in the day!
Avocado Mayonnaise (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan) N.B. contains mustard
- 1 avocado
- Juice of 1 lime (use less for a non-Mexican mayonnaise)
- 1 tsp vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsps sunflower oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
– Whiz together the avocado, lime and vinegar in a food processor.
– Add the other ingredients and whiz until smooth.
– Taste and adjust the seasoning.
– Add a little more sunflower oil if too thick.
– Keeps well in the fridge for a couple of days