Churros

Churros (minus the chocolate sauce) are one of the few freshly baked treats we can buy at fairs, festivals and markets. Since the stalls are specialist and sell nothing else there is no risk of cross contamination and most stalls sell versions that are vegan, probably because they are cheaper to make. As a result we get a bit over-excited when we come across a churros stall. Since we haven’t had any since last Christmas I decided to make some as a treat for bank holiday Monday.

The dough is fairly simple and can be made well in advance, but there is no getting round the deep-frying. I’m not keen on deep frying, partly due to not knowing what to do with all that oil afterwards, but its definitely worth it to make fresh, crispy churros.

For any of you are not familiar, churros are fried dough sticks that are often eaten for breakfast in Hispanic countries and have become quite an institution in Spain. Sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon they’re not dissimilar to doughnuts, but are often served with a rich chocolate sauce for dipping.

Churros (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan) N.B. contains gluten

makes about 12

• 1 cup water
  • 2 1/2 tbsps sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsps sunflower oil
  • 1 cup plain flour
  • Sugar and cinnamon to dredge.

– Bring the cup of water to the boil
– Add the sugar, salt and oil and stir until the sugar has dissolved
– Take off the heat and beat in the flour until you have a smooth, very thick dough.
– Transfer to a piping bag with a star shaped nozzle and set aside.
– When ready to cook them, heat the oil (at least 4cm deep) until a piece of bread bubbles and fries on contact
– Pipe in long strands of dough, making sure not to crowd the oil. Fry until golden on each side.
– Remove and dredge with sugar and cinnamon whilst still hot.
– If desired serve with rich chocolate sauce

Rich chocolate sauce (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan) possibly soya and gluten-free depending on the type of chocolate used

• 50g dairy-free very dark chocolate
  • 1 tbsp oat milk
  • 1 tbsp sugar

– In a microwave or over a Bain Marie, melt together the ingredients until smooth and silky.

1. These look fabulous. Do you think they would work with gluten free flour?

I don’t see why not, but then again I’m no expert with gluten free flour. Let me know if you try them and how they turn out πŸ™‚

2. Lissa says:

Yuss! Vegan churros! πŸ˜€
    These look awesome.

Thank you! Churros are always a very welcome treat! πŸ™‚

3. LOVE churros, but rarely let myself have them. *drool*

You certainly can’t eat the too often, unless you want to be the size of a house!!! But now and then, they’re the perfect treat πŸ™‚

1. Absolutely! Esp. if there’s a little nip in the air!

4. Cosmo says:

I SOOOOO love churros!!!!!!!!!!!

what’s not to love! πŸ™‚

5. vixbakes says:

Hi Lucy, your churros look great – lovely photos! I completely relate to not knowing what to do with the oil after deep frying…

6. allergybabe says:

Just had these for breakfast (gluten free). And what can I say: they are super delicious! Thanks for all your lovely recipes! Will try one by one…!

Fantastic! It makes me so happy when people try and like my recipes. …. And that they worked gluten-free too πŸ™‚

1. allergybabe says:

Yes, most recipes work very well. I am very very pleased. I still struggle with the pitta bread, tried it twice. Three time lucky? Will use more yeast next time.