July has started with blazing sunshine. It’s quite a relief after months of cold, wet weather. We certainly needed some rays and heat. And what better food to eat when it’s hot and sunny than spicy Caribbean food? Spice and sunshine take me away to turquoise seas and dusty streets.
I can’t claim any authenticity, this is my take on a jerk-seasoned recipe. In fact I used a ready made dry jerk spice rub and added some of my own sweet and sour flavourings as well. Aubergine skewers look gorgeous I think – lovely roasted in the oven, but even better on a barbecue.
Jerk Aubergine Skewers (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 2 tsp jerk spice
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbs lemon thyme, finely chopped
- 1 dried chilli
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 Aubergine
– Cut the aubergine into even sized chunks, place in a colander and pour over the 1 tbsp salt.
– Leave for about half an hour
– Meanwhile, mix together the rest of the ingredients
– Rinse and dry the aubergine cubes.
– Thread onto skewers
– Brush all over with the marinade and leave for at least 1 hour
– BBQ or roast in a hot oven for 20 minutes
– Serve with Jamaican style rice and peas.