It’s courgette season, and this is a fantastic way to make a satisfying lunch out of little other than grated courgettes. Make sure the pan is hot when you add the fritter batter, otherwise they’re likely to soak up a fair bit of oil, and you want these little beauties to be crispy and dry, not soggy!
Otherwise though, the basic recipe is fairly forgiving and you can add whichever herbs or spices you have to hand. I served mine with sweet chilli sauce and salad, but any kind of sweet sauce or chutney would work perfectly well. See also my sweetcorn fritter recipe for a variation, but I love the green in these.
Courgette Fritters (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
Serves 2 adults or 4 children
- 1 large courgette, grated
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 4 tbsps plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 handful parsley, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped (optional)
– Place the grated courgettes in a clean tea towel and squeeze out as much moisture as possible
– Place the dry grated courgette into a bowl.
– Stir in the dry ingredients, making sure it is all well distributed
– Pour in the water and mix to form a batter.
– Set aside while the oil heats in your frying pan.
– Fry on each side in some sunflower (or other flavourless oil) until crispy and golden
– Drain on some paper towels before serving.