Someone mentioned the combination of lemon and thyme in a sweet context the other day. It’s a pairing that I’d only ever really thought about as a savoury thing. I’ve never seen lemon and thyme welsh cake (lemons and thyme a bit more Mediterranean) but since I really like welsh cakes, I thought why not? I’ve left out sultanas as my children don’t like them.
Wow, it certainly does work! Citrusy and fragrant little drop scones sprinkled with sugar – not sure what Welsh traditionalists would say but they are delicious.
Lemon and Thyme Welsh Cakes (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1 cup of plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup dairy-free spread
- 1/4 cup of caster sugar
- 1/4 cup sultanas
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsps oat milk
- 1 tbsp thyme (preferably lemon) chopped finely
- caster sugar, to sprinkle
– Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and spice into a bowl.
– Rub in the spread until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs
– Stir in the sugar, lemom zest and thyme.
– Add the oat milk and lemon juice and mix to form a slightly sticky dough.
– Roll out on a floured board and cut out shaped with a cookie cutter – circles are the traditional shape but any would be fine.
– Heat a dry non-stick frying pan (or any frying pan wiped with a smear of spread)
– When hot add the cakes and dry fry/griddle for 2-3 minutes on either side until golden.
– Sprinkle with caster sugar and serve.
– To reheat warm in an oven or microwave
I’m obsessed with Lemon and Thyme in sweet things, these sounds delicious! I can’t wait to make them. I made fudge with lemon and thyme last christmas and gave it as gifts, I think everyone was really surprised with the combination! http://riversidebaking.com/2012/12/16/homemade-christmas-gift-four-lemon-and-thyme-fudge/
Wow, your lemon and thyme fudge sounds amazing! It’s always great to give people a surprising flavour combo 😉
I saw this photo and said, oooh that looks nice! I love savoury herbs in baked goods – I have a couple of recipes on my blog that include rosemary in ‘sweet’ things. It somehow works 🙂
I agree, herby and sweet can be a great combo 🙂
I am so excited to see a recipe for Welsh cakes and one that I can adapt to our wheat and gluten-free needs too. Just wish I was at home now and could give these a whirl – my little man will be so excited! Thanks
I hope you enjoyed them 🙂
Whoa!! This looks great! Yummmmm
They look so light, I must try them and love the flavour combination, I’ve seen it in recipes quite a lot but have never dared to try it!
It really works, give it a go 🙂
I will do!
Yummm! I made these beauties today & loved them so much, Lucy! They were a real delight & a great treat! xxx
They’re quite scrummy aren’t they! And so easy to make 🙂
This sounds like something really good, can imagine it warm with some butter on top and a cup of tea! ^^
That’s the idea! 🙂