I guess this cookie is reminiscent of a Hershey’s peanut butter cup, minus the peanuts and in cookie form! So maybe not all that similar on second thoughts. The sweet, crunchy filling is a combination of Lotus caramelised spread mixed with crushed cornflakes which is then enrobed in a chocolate dough that bakes to a crisp shell. You can’t beat a sweet surprise inside a cookie and the extra crunch here gives an added unexpected dimension that really works. Quite pleased with this experiment.
Crunchy Caramel Filled Chocolate Cookies (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes about 18
- 1 cup soft brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dairy-free spread
- 2 tbsps golden syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the filling:
- 1 cup lotus caramelised spread
- 1 cup cornflakes, crushed
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade/Gas mark 4
– Cream together the spread, sugar, syrup and vanilla
– Sift in the flour, cocoa, bicarb and salt and mix to a stiff dough. Set aside.
– Make the filling by mixing together the Lotus spread, crushed cornflakes and icing sugar.
– Take tbsp amounts of the chocolate dough and pat out to a small round. Place a tsp of filling in the middle of each and bring the sides up and around to form a chocolate ball with no gaps.
– Place on a cookie sheet and slightly press down.
– Bake for 10 minutes. Cool for a couple more minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
– These cookies keep well for up to a week in a sealed container, and are lovely warmed for 20 seconds in a microwave before eating. The first photo shows the cookies, warmed and with a gooey centre. The second when they have been let to cool and the centre has set.