I think Autumn can be a great time for experimenting with unusual salads – contrasting autumnal root vegetables with warm flavours and fresh, crunchy leaves. This salad gives you sweet and smoky roasted squash with silky avocado, spiky pink pickled onions and crunchy croutons – resulting in a salad that packs a punch in terms of flavour, colour and texture. Salads aren’t just for summer.
Autumn Salad (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1 small squash, peeled and deseeded and sliced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1.2 tsps smoked paprika
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp honey/pinch of sugar
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 big handfuls of salad leaves of choice
- handful of cooked borlotti beans, tinned are fine
- pickled pink onions
- croutons, here: fried homemade focaccia cubes
- handful of toasted sunflower seeds
for the dressing:
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
– Mix together the dressing ingredients and set aside
– Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Centigrade/Gas mark 5
– Toss the squash slices with the balsamic vinegar, smoked paprika, oil and honey/sugar
– Roast for 20-30 minutes until cooked through and starting to brown. Let cool.
– Arrange all the ingredients on a plate and drizzle with dressing.
– Serve straight away.
Delicious! Perfect for the autumn weather that we’re getting here in Australia at the moment. Love the fact that you added gorgeous soft borlotti beans with crunchy croutons and sunflower seeds. Delish xx
Sounds and looks delicious!
I just can’t get enough salads! 🙂