I think Autumn can be a great time for experimenting with unusual salads – contrasting autumnal root vegetables with warm flavours and fresh, crunchy leaves. This salad gives you sweet and smoky roasted squash with silky avocado, spiky pink pickled onions and crunchy croutons – resulting in a salad that packs a punch in terms of flavour, colour and texture. Salads aren’t just for summer.
Autumn Salad (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1 small squash, peeled and deseeded and sliced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1.2 tsps smoked paprika
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp honey/pinch of sugar
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 big handfuls of salad leaves of choice
- handful of cooked borlotti beans, tinned are fine
- pickled pink onions
- croutons, here: fried homemade focaccia cubes
- handful of toasted sunflower seeds
for the dressing:
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
– Mix together the dressing ingredients and set aside
– Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Centigrade/Gas mark 5
– Toss the squash slices with the balsamic vinegar, smoked paprika, oil and honey/sugar
– Roast for 20-30 minutes until cooked through and starting to brown. Let cool.
– Arrange all the ingredients on a plate and drizzle with dressing.
– Serve straight away.