Gosh, I’m on a pudding roll at the moment!……. (and there are lots more to come ;-))
Blueberries work so well with lemon. I find the hint of zing adds another dimension to the blueberry flavour. Besides, blueberries produce such a stunning colour when cooked that they just had to be a wonderful ingredient for my dairy / egg-free mousse recipe. I can’t say it’s exactly like a fluffy egg-white and cream mousse, but it does give a richness and unctuousness that you don’t usually get from a dairy-free dessert. The recipe really involves making a simple jam which is thickened with cornflour and then dairy-free yogurt is whisked in to give an extra creaminess. This is definitely a recipe worth having in your allergy friendly/vegan repertoire.
Blueberry and Lemon Mousse (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes 4 mousses
- 200g blueberries
- dash of water
- juice of 1 and 1/2 lemons
- 3 tbsps cornflour
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup dairy-free yogurt (I used Alpro Soya)
– Put the blueberries in a saucepan with the dash of water. Cook over a medium heat until the berries are soft and soupy. Strain into a bowl (or not if you like the fruit pieces)
– Using the same saucepan (no need to wash out) add the sugar, lemon juice and cornflour. Whisk over a low heat until smooth and lump free.
– Pour the blueberry ‘soup’ back into the saucepan. Whisk over a medium heat until thick and jammy.
– Pour back into the bowl and place in a fridge to cool and set.
– Once cold, puree with a hand held blender until smooth.
– Whisk in the soya yogurt. Pour into four ramekins and chill. Decorate as desired.
Looks tasty! Is the sugar purely for taste/sweetness or is it important to get it to thicken and whatnot? 🙂
It’s mainly for taste but also a little bit for texture, as you add corn flour it would still thicken without the sugar
Fab thanks 🙂
Wow! A pudding without dairy. Sounds too good to be true! 🙂
It’s really good with any berry x
I am in loooove with this recipe. The color is just a plus. Also, no dairy? Hurray!
And I promise I didn’t enhance the photo too 🙂
This looks delicious – such a lovely color! Celeste 🙂
Blueberries give the most ridiculous colour!
This looks SO refreshing and delicious!! I am getting so excited for spring recipes like this!
I made this 2 already & loved it each time,…it was just lovely! x
thank you x