I’ve been noticing a trend towards flavoured coleslaws in the shops – anything from coronation ‘slaw, jalapeño ‘slaw, barbecue ‘slaw. I’m not sure wacky variations are always a good idea, but some twists on such a basic recipe can be extremely successful. I have to say, I find egg and dairy-free mayonnaise can have a slightly sweet flavour which benefits from being hidden behind some robust, punchy flavours.
Never tried this before, but ended up to be quite delicious and a great side to go with your burger of choice. The smoky chipotle Tabasco (by all means use other forms of chipotle) gives both a subtle heat and a smoky overtone which would work beautifully with any barbecued foods. The lime and coriander adds that sharp and herby tickle that stands above the smokiness.
Smoky Chipotle Slaw (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1/2 white cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped into a very fine dice (by all means use chilli if you like it hot, hot, hot!)
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 3 tbsp dairy and egg-free mayonnaise
- 1tbsp smoky chipotle Tabasco sauce
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- Salt and pepper
– Mix together all the ingredients.
– Let sit for a few minutes, then taste. Add more salt or lime as desired.
– Keep refrigerated until ready to eat.
– Best eaten on the day it’s made, or the salt starts to draw out the water from the veg.