I’ve been noticing a trend towards flavoured coleslaws in the shops – anything from coronation ‘slaw, jalapeño ‘slaw, barbecue ‘slaw. I’m not sure wacky variations are always a good idea, but some twists on such a basic recipe can be extremely successful. I have to say, I find egg and dairy-free mayonnaise can have a slightly sweet flavour which benefits from being hidden behind some robust, punchy flavours.
Never tried this before, but ended up to be quite delicious and a great side to go with your burger of choice. The smoky chipotle Tabasco (by all means use other forms of chipotle) gives both a subtle heat and a smoky overtone which would work beautifully with any barbecued foods. The lime and coriander adds that sharp and herby tickle that stands above the smokiness.
Smoky Chipotle Slaw (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1/2 white cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped into a very fine dice (by all means use chilli if you like it hot, hot, hot!)
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 3 tbsp dairy and egg-free mayonnaise
- 1tbsp smoky chipotle Tabasco sauce
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- Salt and pepper
– Mix together all the ingredients.
– Let sit for a few minutes, then taste. Add more salt or lime as desired.
– Keep refrigerated until ready to eat.
– Best eaten on the day it’s made, or the salt starts to draw out the water from the veg.
That sounds delicious… Since we can’t eat onions of any kind, I’m trying to figure out what we could sub for… Any idea?
I reckon just leave them out – maybe add a bit of green pepper for colour? X