This recipe is genius, even if I do say so myself! Delicate little pastries, whipped up with no fuss in minutes, that taste just like pain au chocolat. I’ve made authentic method free-from viennoiserie before, but wow is it hard work! Definitely not something to attempt when you’re in a rush. This recipe, on the other hand, enables you to whip up a batch of pastries in a flash, perfect when catering for those who don’t do dairy.
Like an authentic pain au chocolat, these are not too sweet, with the dark chocolate centre encased in flaky layers. They certainly won’t be hanging around for long in the cookie tin.
Pain au Chocolat Palmiers (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, vegetarian, vegan, soya-free, sesame-free)
- 1 pack puff-pastry, ensure its not the butter type
- 2 tbsp dairy-free spread
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- Caster sugar, probably less than 1/2 a cup
– Preheat the oven to 200 degrees centigrade/Gas Mark 6
– Line a baking sheet with parchment
– Mix together the dairy-free spread and cocoa powder and set aside
– Roll out the pastry, using caster sugar rather than flour, until it forms a nice large rectangle. Odd I know, but this is what gives the sweet palmier effect.
– Spread the cocoa mix evenly over the pastry and sprinkle with a fine layer of caster sugar
– Fold up by bringing the short sides to meet in the middle.
– Repeat, until you have done the same 3 times.
– Cut 1 cm slices and place well spaced on the baking sheet
– Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden and crisp.