I really really wanted to find another addition to our limited breakfast repertoire. Pancakes are our ‘go to’ special breakfast but everyone needs a bit of variety now and then. I was thinking about how our breakfasts veer towards the sweet (unless marmite is involved!) and how it would be nice to have some savoury options to hand. I then remembered eating eggy bread with tomato ketchup at University – and how would that work egg-free? So last weekend we had this experimental breakfast – wow, what a hit! You’d never think eggy bread could work without the eggs, but boy does it work well! Somehow the cornflour enables the milky mix to cling correctly to the bread and the herbs make it lean just enough towards the savoury. So how happy am I? Another breakfast of champions perfect for cold wintery days with no milk or eggs 🙂
Egg-free Herby Savoury French Toast (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1 cup oat milk
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1/2 tsp herbes de Provence or dried thyme/oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Slices of slightly stale bread (2 per person)
- Flavourless oil for frying
– Place the flours, herbs and seasoning into a shallow bowl
– Add a little bit of milk to make a smooth paste, then whisk in the rest of the milk, let sit for at least 10 minutes
– When ready to cook, heat a little oil over a medium heat, dunk a couple of slices in the milk mix and pace in the frying pan
– Cook until golden, then turn over and repeat on the other side.
– Keep warm until ready to eat. Serve with sauce of choice. My children favour tomato ketchup, I’m quite keen on a dash of smokey chipotle Tabasco or some roasted cherry tomatoes.
Ketchup and French toast great combo.
Perfect Sunday brunch fodder!
I don’t understand why people eat French toast with sweet things, I’d much rather have it with a bit of ketchup and some avocado.
Mmm avocado too – now that would be genius!
eggy bread with no eggy? gotta try this out!
I made it to see what is what like! I loved every bite too! So good! x