Here’s a handy way of perking up a batch of chocolate chip cookies. The popcorn gives an added textural dimension and the caramel essence gives an delicious unexpected flavour. Make sure the popcorn is well popped though – finding any hard kernels in your cookie would not be a nice surprise!
Chocolate Caramel Popcorn Cookies (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan) makes 12-16
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2/3 cup sunflower oil
- 1/3 cup oat milk
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp caramel essence
- 1 3/4 cups plain flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup popcorn
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees centigrade, grease two baking sheets.
- Whisk together the sugar, oil, milk, cornflour and essence until to looks like a thick caramel. Sift in the flour, salt and bicarbonate and bring together to a soft dough. Stir in the popcorn and chocolate chips.
- Roll into conker sized balls and place well apart on the baking sheets. Bake for 12 minutes until starting o turn golden.
- Leave to cool on the baking sheet for a minute or two before transferring to a wire rack.
Hi Lucy – love the idea of adding popcorn to cookies…..very original!
Made these today. Delicious! Kids loved them. Thank you.
Excellent 🙂 x
These look delicious 🙂 I always prefer this kind of recipes that don’t include margarine or vegan butter 🙂
what kind of flavour of popcorn should it be? And can you buy bags of popcorn already popped?
Any safe popcorn would be fine. yes we can buy ready popped popcorn – in the UK I tend to buy Tyrrells x
Thank you for replying. Can’t wait to make these for my sister.
hope she likes them x
I have no doubt she will love them since you chocolate chip hot cross buns were a big hit with my family. What flavour of popcorn would go well in these cookies? X