This autumn term has reintroduced Thursday bake day into my life, the day when I bake goodies for the girls to take into school to share with their friends. You may think that I’m way over the top baking goodies each week (unless it’s someone’s birthday and they’re bringing in homemade treats) but I think it’s so important for my girls (and those around them) to enjoy friendly treats which they can enjoy, rather than the special, weird foods everyone shies away from. We have a few dear friends who bake so that both girls are included, and one family in particular who go to amazing lengths to ensure that little S doesn’t feel different; but on the whole, if it’s not me baking, then they’ll end up with a bag of haribo whilst everyone else scoffs cakes. It’s lucky they like haribo! Anyway, so Friday cake day has become a tradition and most often the requested treat is cupcakes…. No surprises there!
This is a delicious variation on a simple vanilla cupcake – infused with delicate strawberry flavour, and then iced with a wonderfully blush strawberry buttercream, these cupcakes are a notch up from the usual.
Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
400g self-raising flour
200g caster sugar
pinch of salt
200ml sunflower oil
300ml dairy-free milk
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp strawberry flavouring
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade/Gas mark 4. Place liners in a cupcake tray
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Stir in the sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the dairy-free milk, bicarb, lemon, strawberry flavouring and oil.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix, until well combines.
- 2/3rds fill the liners and bake for 18-20 minutes, until lightly golden and a knife comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
For the strawberry buttercream:
1/4 cup vegetable fat (such as Trex)
3/4 cup dairy-free margarine (such as Pure)
3 cups icing sugar, sifted
1/2 cup strawberry puree (fresh strawberries whizzed up to a puree in a blender and then sieved)
- Whisk together the spread and vegetable fat.
- Add the icing sugar, 1/2 cup at a time with a splash of the strawberry puree, until fully combined and nice and fluffy.
- use to top the cupcakes and then sprinkle with freeze-dried strawberry pieces