How about a savoury snack that can be whizzed up in a flash and packs a punch of flavour, without having to resort to opening a bag of crisps? ( although I do love a crisp now and then!) These straws are crispy, flaky, savoury and as the name suggests: pizza flavoured. Sounds tempting, and they are.
By twirling the strips of tomato and herb coated puff pastry you create a pretty twist and a nice light feel to them. Those who are dairy- free may have to avoid cheese straws but theses are a great alternative to hand out to all those impromptu festive visitors.
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes plenty for 4 – 6 people
1/2 pack dairy- free puff pastry (Jus-roll non-butter version is dairy-free)
1 or 2 tbsps Tomato purée (preferably sun-dried)
A sprinkle of Oregano
A small handful dairy free cheese ( optional)
- Roll out the puff pastry to a thin even square
- Spread over a thin layer of the tomato purée
- Sprinkle over the oregano ( and cheese if using)
- Cut into even sized strips and twist each one a few times before placing on a baking sheet
- Bake at 190 degrees centigrade for 10 minutes until puffed up, golden and crispy