Fruit turnovers are a fantastically easy and convenient way to make a fruit pie. The flaky puff pastry encases the soft, jammy fruit filling, giving great texture but also making them perfectly portable. The slashes in the top let the Jewel coloured juice run out and the top is garnished with crystal like granulated sugar. We had them for pudding – slightly warm with some dairy-free ice cream, but they work equally well as an addition on a cake stand or in a picnic lunch.
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
1/2 pack ready made dairy-free puff pastry, such as JusRol Original
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp cornflour
Pinch of cinnamon
1 tsp water
Zest 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp lemon juice
Dairy-free milk to brush
Granulated sugar to sprinkle
- In a small pan simmer together the blueberries, water, sugar, cornflour, lemon juice and zest and cinnamon for a few minutes until you have a jammy consistency. Set aside to cool
- Roll out the puff pastry, cut out circles. Place a tsp on the mixture in the middle of each circle.. Brush the edges with dairy-free milk and fold over to form a semi-circle, sticking the edges together and using the prongs of a fork to glue them together.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Brush with the milk and sprinkle with sugar
- Bake for 25 minutes at 190 degrees centigrade until golden and puffed up.
- Cool slightly before eating. If desired drizzle with a water icing before serving, but make sure they’re cool first!