This recipe is really magic, just four simple ingredients and you end up with the most delicious, decadent chocolate mousse cake. Not only that but I’ve served it to many free-from haters and they’ve never noticed the wonderful pudding they’re devouring with gusto is completely dairy and egg free. Result!
Also, except the dairy-free whipping cream (which I find it best to stock up on when I find it) all the ingredients are basic store cupboard essential, plus it takes only minutes to make but has the look of a pudding you’ve been slaving over for a while. This could be the most perfect pudding recipe ever!
I used crushed digestives as the base (Doves Farm are suitable) but would have preferred to use crushed Bourbons for a greater chocolatey hit – unfortunely were currently living through the great biscuit shortage in the UK. It seems that a certain factory in Northern England, which must make many of the staples such as bourbons and ginger nuts, was flooded and now none of these biscuits can be found for love or money. It’s been a disaster for us where we have so few basics we can rely on and Tesco’s bourbons and mcvities gingernuts are are go to staples.
Magic Four Ingredient Chocolate Mousse Cake
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, can be soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
Makes one 8 inch cake
150g dairy-free digestive biscuits, such as Doves Farm
50g dairy-free spread, melted
300ml (one pack) dairy-free whipping cream , I used Soyatoo which does soya, rice and coconut versions
100g dairy-free chocolate. I used Kinnerton
- Grease and line a springform cake tin
- Crush the biscuits and add the melted spread. Stir until well combined. Press into the base of the cake tin and place in the fridge to set
- Whip the whipping cream on high speed for at least two minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- In a microwave or a Bain Marie melt the chocolate.
- Gently stir the chocolate into the cream until well combined.
- Pour onto the biscuit base and level off the top.
- Place in the fridge to set.
- Remove from the tin and decorate as desired.