Everyone loves a cute cupcake and I haven’t posted a recipe for one for absolutely ages – so here’s an extra special cupcake recipe to cheer up this rather damp and dreary July day!
I guess there is something a little more celebratory and special about having your own little complete cake with perfect icing and adornments.
When I was tiny, cupcakes were always called fairy cakes (I don’t know when they became known as cupcakes instead) and they were one of the first things I ever baked for my Brownie baking badge. Proud moment. In fact they were particularly delicious little cakes which for some reason I decided to top with bright yellow icing! These cupcakes are, I hope, a little more elegant and subtle looking.
The inspiration behind these is the ‘Rocky Road’ with its combination of chocolate, crunch and chew. So we have intensely chocolatey cakes, with a marshmallow baked inside for an extra mallow factor. These are vegetarian marshmallows which do go quite chewy so maybe leave them out if you’re serving these to any elderly relative with false teeth!
The icing is vanilla ‘buttercream’ which is then topped off with more marshmallows, honeycomb pieces, giant chocolate buttons and pomegranate hearts for some extra cuteness. I hope you like them, they’re certainly a knock-out flavour combination.
Rocky Road Cupcakes
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
350g self-raising flour
200g caster sugar
50g cocoa powder
200ml sunflower oil
300ml oat milk
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
20 vegetarian marshmallows (I used Freedom Mallows) – optional
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade/Gas Mark 5
- Mix together the oat milk, lemon juice, vanilla and oil. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and salt. Stir in the sugar.
- Add the bicarb to the wet ingredients and stir.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix to thoroughly combine.
- 2/3 rds fill the cupcake cases, pop a mallow into the middle and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
for the vanilla buttercream:
enough to ice 24 cupcakes
1/4 cup solid vegetable fat (such as Trex)
3/4 cup dairy-free margarine (such as Pure)
3 cups icing sugar, sifted
1or 2 tbsp oat milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk together the spread and vegetable fat.
- Add the icing sugar, 1/2 cup at a time with a splash of the oat milk and the vanilla, until fully combined and nice and fluffy.
- Pipe or spread onto the cupcakes.
- Then decorate so they look pretty enough to eat!