Where do you stand with Krispie Kreme doughnuts? Most people can’t seem to get enough of them, in fact at our workplaces and schools they seem to be the luxurious treat of choice. I find them a bit too sickly and sweet!
Since my girls can’t have them and they see their friends excitedly tucking in, I decided that I had to make a home made variation. It’s good to know what everything is like isn’t it? I chose to make mini ones which was actually a good plan as it avoided the sweet overload whilst still getting the Krispie Kreme effect.
I personally think these are even better than Krispie Kremes- the dough is light and airy and the glaze give a pleasing sugary shell which shatters nicely when you bite in, and also serves to keep them fresh until the next day – genius!
Krispie Kreme Doughnuts
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes about 18-20 mini doughnuts
2 tbsp caster sugar
1/2 cup water
1 tsp dried yeast
1 tbsps melted dairy-free margarine
1 and 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
for the glaze:
2 cups icing sugar
2 tbsp dairy-free milk
1 tbsp golden or maple syrup
- Sift together the flour and baking powder. Stir in the caster sugar. Add the yeast to one side of the bowl and the salt to the other.
- Pour in the melted margarine and water
- Bring together to form a dough, knead until smooth.
- Cover the bowl and let rise for an hour or two
- Roll out the dough to about 1 inch thick and cut out circles or rings with cutters.
- Place on a floured baking sheet. Cover and leave to prove for an extra 15 minutes
- Bring a pan of flavourless oil up to heat (360 degrees Centigrade – it’s the right temperature when a piece of bread bubbles on contact)
- Deep fry 2-3 doughnuts at a time until well browned all over. this will take a minute or two on each side.
- Drain on paper towels
- Make the glaze by heating all the ingredients in the microwave for 30 seconds, then whisking until smooth.
- Roll the warm doughnuts in the glaze until fully covered, then place on a wire rack to set.
- Eat as soon as possible!