These salted caramel sticky bun made out of cinnamon swirl buns so you get all the benefits of a deliciously spicy swirl bun which is then cooked in a lake of salted caramel, you can’t get much more exciting than that! Not only are these buns the epitome of luxury and comfort at the same time, they also reheat wonderfully to give the perfect winter pudding or snack. Honestly, you must try them, you’re life will not be complete until you have 🙃
Salted Caramel Sticky Buns
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
250-300ml dairy-free milk, I used Oatly
3 tbsp dairy-free margarine, such as Pure
400g plain flour
2 tsp dried yeast
50g or 1/4 cup caster sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp cornflour
For the filling:
1/2 cup soft brown sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 tbsp dairy-free margarine
For the salted caramel:
1/2 cup dairy-free margarine
1 cup soft dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp sea salt
- Melt the margarine and milk together – you want it to be warm and melted but not hot
- In a bowl mix together the flour, yeast, sugar, cinnamon, cornflour and salt. Make a well in the centre and pour in the warm milk mix
- Bring together to a soft dough and knead until its smooth and bounces back when poked
- Cover and let double in size
- While waiting for the dough to prove, make the caramel. Melt together the sugar, margarine and salt until the sugar has dissolved.
- Grease two cake tins, pour the caramel into each tin so the bottom is entire covered.
- Knock back the dough and roll out to a large rectangle
- Smear on the dairy-free margarine. Sprinkle over the sugar and cinnamon, then roll up tightly into a long sausage
- Cut into 14 even slices. Place 7 in each caramel lined cake tin, 6 in a circle and 1 in the middle.
- Cover and leave to rise again for another half an hour
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade/Gas Mark 4/375 degrees F
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until risen, golden and cooked through. They’ll look like traditional cinnamon swirls at this stage
- Now comes the magic! Invert onto a plate, being careful not to get caramel on yourself. Serve warm.
- To reheat: place in a warm oven for 5-10 minutes or microwave for 1 minute