Cookies are a perennial favourite in this household, and for the majority chocolate wins every everytime. So as you can imagine, I spend a lot of time thinking up new exciting cookie ideas. I can think of a lots worse ways to spend my time!
So picture a deep, intense freshly baked chocolate cookie, with crisp edges and a soft and slightly chewy interior? Sounds good? Well, let me make it even better….. Now picture a deeply chocolatey freshly baked cookie, with crisp edges and a soft and slightly chewy interior, wrapped around a sweet vanilla melted marshmallow with has remained gooey even once it has set. That does sound better doesn’t it!
These mallow stuffed cookies are a revelation, they’ve quickly become a firm favourite. Little S took one into school in her packed lunch and her friends all asked for a nibble and then asked where to buy them. High praise indeed 🙂
Marshmallow Filled Chocolate Cookies
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan [if using vegan mallows])
makes about 9
200g (1 cup) soft brown sugar
115g (1/2 cup) dairy-free spread
2 tbsps golden syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla
30g (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
150g (1and1/4 cups) plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp salt
For the filling:
9 standard size marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade/Gas mark 4
- Cream together the spread, sugar, syrup and vanilla. Sift in the flour, cocoa, bicarb and salt and mix to a stiff dough.
- Take tablespoon or two sized amounts of the chocolate dough and pat out to a small round. Place a marshmallow in the middle of each and bring the sides up and around to form a chocolate ball with no gaps.
- Place on a lined cookie sheet and slightly press down with the fronts of a fork.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Cool for a couple more minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- These cookies keep well for a few days in a sealed container, and are lovely warmed for 20 seconds in a microwave before eating.