What crazy and unpresidented times we are living through! I don’t think that even a few weeks we could have imagined lock down, and certainly not lock down for 1/4 of the world’s population. We didn’t know what social distancing meant, loo roll and pasta shortages were something we couldn’t imagine and coronavirus was nowhere near home. At times it seems like we’re living through a badly written disaster movie, if only a super hero would come and save us all. Although on this occasion the super heroes will be the medical staff who are looking after the sick and putting their own health in danger.
A few days ago I was reading the news all the time and feeling pretty anxious, upset and overwhelmed about the whole situation. It all looked so bleak. Now, I’ve decided to step away from the news, just dip in occasionally and instead focus on cooking. I’ve certainly got enough time to develop those recipes that have been on the back burner! I also have lots of ideas for using simple store cupboard ingredients to make delicious tasty meals, so keep tuned for some exciting cooking and baking ideas.
But first, I think we need some sweet luxury, something pretty, tempting, and delicious to add a ray of sunshine into the otherwise bleak outlook.
These Chocolate and Vanilla Yo-yo cookies are not only as pretty as a picture, but sweet and crumbly with a super rich chocolate filling. The sort of cookie to give a metaphorical hug (just what we need right now) whilst having a hot drink. Do be careful with Bird’s custard powder, some is safe and some contains milk. If you can’t find the safe one just sub for cornflour.
Stay safe everyone x
Chocolate and Vanilla Yo-Yo Cookies
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegan and vegetarian)
makes about 20 sandwich biscuits
150g dairy-free margarine
65g icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla essence
pinch of salt
55g custard powder or cornflour
175g plain flour
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade/Gas mark 4
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment
- Beat together the margarine, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Sift in the flours and salt to form a very soft, but not sticky dough.
- Make large marble sized balls and place on the baking sheet (try to make an even number). Flatten with the back of a fork.
- Bake for 12 minutes until only a hint of colour on the edges
- Cool on the baking sheet for a couple of minutes before moving to a wire rack.
- Once completely cool, sandwich together with the chocolate cream.
- Dust with icing sugar if desired
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, gluten-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
60g dairy-free margarine
200g icing sugar
1 tsp dairy-free milk (if needed)
25g melted dairy-free chocolate