Every thought of having a cookie for breakfast? Maybe you’ve been in a rush, missed your breakfast slot and that cookie looks especially tempting to have alongside a cup of coffee? Well, if that’s the case then these cookies are for you! Combining all the deliciousness of a chocolate chip cookie with crisp and crunchy cornflakes, these cookies are a match made in heaven (for any time of the day). Besides both cookies and cereal go with (dairy-free) milk so it has to be a good idea 🙂
I was looking for cookie inspiration, because you always need a new recipe to try, right? These Afghan cookies came to mind (not only because they’re very tasty and I haven’t made them for a while, but also New Zealand is probably one place it would be great to be right now) and I started thinking about how breakfast cereal should be used more in cooking. It has such unique taste and texture and most people have some box of cereal hanging about in their larder. It turns out it’s a fabulous addition to a cookie recipe; adding a crispy crunchy cornflake coating to a soft sweet, chocolate laced cookie takes the cookie to whole new dimension.
Breakfast Cereal Cookies
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
110g dairy-free margarine
100g caster sugar
80g soft brown sugar
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp dairy-free milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
225g plain flour
50g chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Centigrade (160 degrees Centigrade fan). Line two cookie sheets with baking paper
- Pour the cornflakes into a shallow bowl and set aside
- Cream together the margarine and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Whisk in the cornflour, milk and vanilla.
- Sift in the flour, salt and baking powder and stir to make a soft but not sticky dough. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Roll into golf ball sized rounds and slightly flatten. Roll in the cornflakes to coat (I say roll but you will more likely have to press the cornflakes into the dough to make sure they stick). Place spread apart onto the baking sheets and bake for 15 minutes until turning slightly golden around the edges. Let cool for a few minutes on the baking sheets until they’ve firmed up and then move to a wire rack to enjoy.
- These will last for a good few days in a sealed container.
How creative! I love this! 😀
Thank you 😊
Great idea, I wonder if there other cereals that could be added instead of corn flakes. Maybe something like cinnamon life?
Absolutely use whatever you like, or even leave it off as the cookies are delicious without too. I’m not familiar with cinnamon life but it sounds tasty!