These mini muffins taste like Christmas; spiced with cinnamon, mixed spice, nutmeg and clementine zest. I think they’ll make a lovely treat to leave out for Father Christmas or as a Festive treat with hot chocolate while snuggled on the sofa in pyjamas.
Christmas Spice Mini Muffins/Mince Pie Muffins
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
Makes 24 mini or 6 large
120g or 1 cup plain flour
75g or 1/3rds cup soft brown sugar
1/2 tbsp baking powder
large pinch salt
55g or 1/4 cup dairy-free margarine, melted
75ml or 1/3rd cup dairy-free milk
125g or 1/2 cup dairy-free yogurt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp mixe spice
a pinch of ground nutmeg
zest of 1/2 clementine
(optional) 1/2 tsp mincemeat for each mini muffin
water icing and Christmas decorations
- Preheat the oven to 190 Degrees Centigrade/Gas Mark 5. Line a muffin tin
- In a bowl mix together the milk, yogurt, vanilla and melted dairy-free margarine. Set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, spices and zest. Stir in the sugar.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix until combined (make sure you don’t over mix).
- 2/3rds fill each muffin liner. (for the mince pie version, 1/3rd fill then add the mincemeat and then top with the other 1/3rd of muffin mix)
- Bake for 12-14 minutes for mini muffins or 20-25 minutes for large ones, until golden on top and a knife comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Either leave plain or top with water icing (add just enough water a few drops at a time to make a very thick icing) and Christmas decorations