These are not just any cupcakes, these are the very best chocolate cupcakes. A deep chocolate flavoured light and fluffy sponge, topped with a rich and intense chocolate buttercream, even Marks & Spencer’s would market these as the best! If you’re stuck a home today due to the massive storm, you might want to make these (you’ll likely have all the ingredients in) and cheer everyone up.
I’ve got out of the habit of making cupcakes; I’m not sure why, maybe it’s because I don’t so often cook for whole classes of children anymore. I used to bake a sweet treat for the girls classes every Friday when they were in junior school, now it’s more like once a term and cookies often trump cupcakes because they’re so much easier to transport. But there is nothing like a good cupcake, and these double chocolate delights are a class above.
This recipe serves 6 or so, just the right amount for a houseful on a Friday night after school, but you could easily multiply the recipe if you have more to feed – after all, no-one would want to miss one of these!
The Very Best Chocolate Cupcakes
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, vegetarian and vegan)
Makes 6-8 cupcakes
150ml dairy-free milk
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
60g dairy-free margarine, melted
140g self-raising flour
3 tbsp cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
100g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade. Line a cupcake tin with paper liners.
- In a jug combine the milk, lemon juice, vanilla (if using) and bicarb. Set aside.
- Melt the dairy-free margarine, set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa and salt. Stir in the sugar
- Pour the melted margarine into the milk mixture and give it a good stir. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix together to form a smooth batter.
- 2/3rds fill each cupcake liner and bake for 18-20 minutes until risen and a knife comes out clean.
- Remove from the tray and cool on a wire rack.
For the chocolate buttercream:
enough to generously cover the 6-8 cupcakes in the recipe above
75g dairy-free margarine
250g icing sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
½ tbsp dairy-free milk
- Whisk the margarine until it is light and fluffy
- Add the icing sugar, cocoa powder and dairy-free milk and whisk until you have a light buttercream.
- Pipe or spread a generous amount onto the top of each cooled cupcake
They do look incredibly delicious! That’s very generous of you to bake them for their whole class! How did you get into the habit of doing that? 😀 Mmm, they look so nice.
Friend there is no sugar in the recipe! I’ve added 125g at the last minute before they went in the oven and currently hoping they come out ok! Thanks for all the lovely recipes Best Anne ________________________________
Gosh what a typo! Thank you for noticing and sorry to mess up. It’s 100g caster. So you’re nearly spot on! Will edit this morning x