Yay, it’s Spring at last. Suddenly there’s light, warmth and colour popping up all over the place. If feels like a new start and I have this urge to add colour and flavour to my bakes.
I’ve got some exciting ideas with raspberry and lemon, but first up are these fun, extremely happy and colourful vanilla sprinkle cookies. How could a batch of these not make you smile and improve your day? Great as they are on their own, and they really are delicious, you can always make them even better with a wonderfully chocolate cream filling. Surely a filling improves any cookie, and with the sprinkle decoration and the chocolate heavy centre you’ve got a match made in heaven. These cookies do spread out quite a bit in the baking so mine are large, if you want to make small versions make the balls of dough olive sized and reduce the baking to around 8 minutes
Vanilla Sprinkle Cookies (with or without a chocolate cream filling)
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
112g dairy-free margarine
100g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla paste
155g plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
¼ tsp salt
Quite a lot of sprinkles – I used half a tube!
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment
- In a large bowl cream together the margarine, sugar and vanilla until well combined and lighter in colour.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt and mix to form a soft dough.
- Break off walnut sized pieces and roll in a bowl of sprinkles until totally covered
- Place well-spaced apart on the lined baking sheet
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until starting to turn golden.
- Let firm up on the baking tray and then move to a wire rack to fully cool
- Eat as they are or fill with the delicious chocolate cream (recipe below)
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
60g dairy-free margarine
200g icing sugar
1 tsp dairy-free milk (if needed)
25g melted dairy-free chocolate
- Whisk the margarine with the icing sugar until it is all incorporated, adding the milk if the mixture is too stiff.
- Stir in the melted chocolate.