So it’s Easter Monday and we spent the day with my mum and step-dad. My mum doesn’t eat chocolate so I made a batch of these nutty delights to give as an easter egg replacement. The original recipe calls for ground, toasted pecan nuts but since they are now out of bounds in this family, I replaced them with ground almonds – which actually worked really well. You’d definitely get the best flavour by toasting and grinding your own nuts but I wasn’t going shopping and only had ground almonds in, and they still turned out fine! These are the perfect accompaniment to a cup of espresso.
Anyway, thanks for a super lovely day mum, and hope you like the almond sandies 🙂
Almond Sandies (dairy-free, egg-free, soya-free, vegetarian, vegan)
makes about 20
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 65g dairy-free spread ( I used Pure)
- 3 tbsps caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
– Preheat oven to 180 degrees centigrade/ Gas mark 4
– Whisk together the dairy-free spread, caster sugar, vanilla and almond extracts until very light and fluffy
– Sift in the flour and combine well. Stir in the almonds and form into a soft dough
– Roll out marble sized balls of dough and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
– Bake for 15-20 minutes, until starting to turn golden
– While still hot roll on the granulated sugar to cover. Cool on a wire rack.