We were out of sweet treats so it was the perfect excuse for baking some delectable cupcakes for Big and Little S to have at tea time. These are rather extravagant cupcakes are packed full of gorgeous banana flavour and can be easily ‘pimped’ with chocolate nuggets and rich vanilla buttercream, then topped with chocolate ganache and sprinkles – think chocolate and banana ice cream sundae in vegan cupcake form – yum! You’ll see from the photos that Big and Little S were quite keen! Another recipe inspired by one that appears in Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, but tweaked to my own taste.
Banana Sundae Cupcakes (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 2/3 cup pureed banana (about 2 small-medium bananas)
- 11/4 cups plain flour
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup oat milk (I used Oatly)
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 45g chopped dairy-free chocolate (optional)
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade/Gas mark 4
– Line a muffin tray with cupcake cases.
– Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt.
– In a separate bow,l whisk together the oil, oat milk, pureed banana and vanilla.
– Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold gently.
– Sprinkle on the chopped chocolate (if using) and stir gently with the end of a spoon.
– 2/3 fill cupcake cases and bake for approx. 20 minutes until a knife comes out clean
– Transfer to a wire rack and cool.
Vanilla Buttercream (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, vegetarian and vegan)
enough for 12 cupcakes
- 1/4 cup dairy-free spread (I used Pure)
- 1/4 cup vegetable fat (I used Trex)
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsps oat milk (I used Oatly)
– Whisk together the spread and vegetable fat.
– Whisk in the icing sugar in 1/2 cup measures.
– Whisk in the vanilla and oat milk
plenty to decorate and extra for chocolate truffles (recipe to follow!)
- 100g dairy-free dark chocolate (I used Kinnerton)
- 2 tbsps oat mik
- 2 tbsps golden syrup
- pinch of salt
– Place all the ingredients in a bowl
– Microwave for 1 minute until molten. Stir until smooth.
– Cool before drizzling…
– Refrigerate the rest to make into chocolate truffles (bonus, 2 recipes in 1!)