Here’s my first recipe inspired by a recipe in my lovely new Ottolenghi cookbook. It’s certainly a step up from an average, rather bland cucumber salad – there’s nothing flabby and watery about this recipe. Give it a go, these luscious cucumbers will certainly excite your palate.
Cucumber and Poppy Seed Salad (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
This recipe comes from Ottolenghi the Cookbook, with a couple of alterations.
(apologies for the bad photo quality at the moment, our camera has sadly died and I’m having to rely on my phone!)
serves 4 as a side
- 1 1/2 cucumbers
- 1 red chilli (must be red for the colour contrast), thinly sliced
- 30ml wine vinegar
- 65ml sunflower oil
- handful of roughly chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- salt and pepper
– Cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise and using a spoon scoop out the watery seeds. Then cut into thin batons, about 5cm long
– In a large bowl mix together the chilli, vinegar, oil, coriander, poppy seeds, sugar and seasoning. Mix well and taste.
– Toss in the cucumbers and mix well.