Cucumber and Poppy Seed Salad

Here’s my first recipe inspired by a recipe in my lovely new Ottolenghi cookbook. It’s certainly a step up from an average, rather bland cucumber salad – there’s nothing flabby and watery about this recipe. Give it a go, these luscious cucumbers will certainly excite your palate.

Cucumber and Poppy Seed Salad (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)

This recipe comes from Ottolenghi the Cookbook, with a couple of alterations.

(apologies for the bad photo quality at the moment, our camera has sadly died and I’m having to rely on my phone!)

serves 4 as a side

• 1 1/2 cucumbers
  • 1 red chilli (must be red for the colour contrast), thinly sliced
  • 30ml wine vinegar
  • 65ml sunflower oil
  • handful of roughly chopped coriander
  • 1 tbsp poppy seeds
  • 1 tbsp caster sugar
  • salt and pepper

– Cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise and using a spoon scoop out the watery seeds. Then cut into thin batons, about 5cm long

– In a large bowl mix together the chilli, vinegar, oil, coriander, poppy seeds, sugar and seasoning. Mix well and taste.

– Toss in the cucumbers and mix well.

1. Mmmm… might make this tonight! I want the Ottolenghi cookbook!

Get it, you won’t regret it!

2. leroywatson4 says:

Thats the third time Ive been told about Ottelenghi, I may have to check his book out. Lovely looking salad. Happy kitchen times, Lee (www.thebeachhousekitchen,wordpress.com)

He has two, the Ottolenghi Cookbook and Plenty – Plenty is veggie (or almost) – his food is AMAZING!

1. leroywatson4 says:

This is great news. My birthday is coming up…..maybe I’ll something book shaped?! Happy blogging.

3. elle says:

Mmm I love cucumber salads 😀

me too! And this is a fine one indeed!